What Happens in a Meditation Class? - Day One

I always wondered, what all they do in a meditation class. I attended a couple of meditation and prayer sessions around the neighborhood or on request of some of my relatives but this was different today.


Before I share what happened today, I am compelled to share the extremities of what I have seen in earlier meditation sessions. 






MAD HATTERS' TEA PARTY 


The one I attended a few years back in my neighborhood left me amused. It was kind of a huge kitty party thing. Everyone was so decked up with makeup and jewelry and designer wear to outshine each other. 

There we had that praying in worst of our voices but that also kind of parody of some kind. All niceties and talks of happening party around the weekend. Then, there we had that tea, jalebi,samosa and all those fried,spicy and sweet things as Prasad, which everyone must eat because it was Guruji's blessings!


That meditation and prayer session really opened my eyes! Go to attend any of these if you have nothing to do for the day!




AUDIO VIDEO MEDITATION FROM FOREIGN


One of my close relative. She has a Guru, who lives in foreign but preach through the session from her recordings. She considers herself so blessed to have her Guru and tagged me along for blessings. I don't shy away from new experiences and learning so I didn't mind a meditation for a relaxed mind and soul.



Organized in a three star hotel, it was an exhibition of sorts. Everything belonging to that Guru was sold on a premium rate for the blessings. 



A very good show of audio visuals and narrations led to five minutes of Guruji's online Darshan / blessings, when she blessed one and all. A lifetime membership was offered for a fee and many such things followed.




WHAT IS MEDITATION?


Different people have different meaning of the same thing. Some of you may not agree with me but what I feel is that - Meditation is concentrating our energies, our thoughts, ourselves wholly INSIDE to understand that what is OUTSIDE is INSIDE. Each particle, each metal, each thought and all of us with our vices and virtues.




WHAT HAPPENED IN TODAY'S MEDITATION CLASS?


It was a random pamphlet with the Sunday newspaper which caught my attention and I dialed the number mentioned on it to get myself registered. 


The catch of most of these meditation sessions is that they are free and subsequently you end up paying through memberships or donations etc. So, it was free of cost, near my house and on top of all my husband agreed to accompany me for the morning sessions.


One week session for 5 am to 7 am. For the first time, in my one and a half decade old marriage, my husband agreed for a morning meditation session so I couldn't refuse to go anyway.


4.45 am - They called on my phone to confirm that I would be attending the session.

4.47 am - They called on my phone to confirm that my husband would attend the session.

Though, I am an early morning riser, I started feeling more sleepy after their morning wake up call.


We reached at the meditation centre around 5 am. The hall of full of people, sitting lined up, with their eyes closed. A long haired man was sitting on a raised stage, closing his eyes. Some songs were playing on the background to create the ambiance. 


I also sat down with my eyes closed but this was not my idea of meditation, I suppose. I started feeling like yelling that please lower the volume or stop the music! But thankfully I didn't. After sometime that music stopped.


The Guruji asked us how the day was and how we were doing! Then, started the session -




WARM UP :-


- We jogged on our places for about 5 minutes.

- We spread our hands in front and slowly sat down on our toes. Repeated the exercise while getting up and counting till ten. Done this for another five minutes.

- We bent our knees and rotated them clockwise and anti clockwise for 1-2 minutes.

- Bent one knee on one side and spread our hands up to join and do Suryanamaskar. 

- Pretended to pick something very heavy from floor with both our hands and threw it on the other side. Guruji said it was our ego which we were supposed to throw. It was an exercise for the waist.

- We jumped on our place for 2-3 minutes and then we sat down.




BREATHING :-



- We closed our right nostril with right hand thumb and inhale from our throat. While inhaling, our stomach should be filled with air.  Repeat 1-2 minutes. Take deep breath for 2-3 times.


- Closed left nostril with ring finger of right hand. Inhaled through nose and exhale through throat. Stomach should be out while inhaling. Repeat 1-2 minutes. Take deep breath for 2-3 times.


I done it all wrong in the first session but repeat was better.

- Presumed to blow a balloon fast for about 12 seconds.

- Rotated our eyes in all directions to do eyes exercise.

- Distorted our facial muscles in various ways to laugh on ourselves.

- Jumped a few times and then sat down.




GRATITUDE 


-  Closed our hands and thanked for the beautiful morning and a LIFE.

- Thanked the person who motivated us to attend the session.

- Thanked all flora and fauna.

- Opened our hands and asked God to give us everything to serve the world. Not to ask for ourselves but for the service of others. I loved this thought and this was the most beautiful part of this session which made me think that I want to join the next session...




PRAYER


- A few chanting and a prayer and the session was over. 

We were warned that first three days may be difficult for us and yes when I reached home, completing my day's work was a Herculean task. 



WILL I ATTEND TOMORROW?


I don't know exactly how you should feel after this early morning session so do let me know if I am on the right course!

Feeling sleepy and loads of work to do. Let's see what happens tomorrow...


Comments

Trending-

हर दिए का दिन आता है

Most Women With Small Income Are Likely to Become Entrepreneurs | Women Business

Why Should You Keep Karva Chauth Fast?

Panic Attacks: Strategies To Cope When Panic Strikes

Is it Not a Best time to Start your YouTube Channel!

How wishes come true?

Delhi getting colder

Do You Wish To Settle Your Children Abroad or Stay With You?